Club Finals day was held last Saturday in glorious weather and alongside 52 players who joined the finalists competing for 6 of this year’s knock out trophies. The Men’s Mid-Week Summer pairs and Men’s Seven Day Summer pairs finals had been played prior to the weekend, with Andrew Smyth and Dan Plested prevailing 3&2 over Darren Osborne and Chris Cooper in the Mid-Week pairs, and Dan Phillpot and Fabien Napier prevailed 4&3 over Steve Milligan and Alex Thorne in the Seven Day pairs.
The trophies played for on the day were:
- The Walker Bowl (Ladies Summer Pairs) played between Rosemary and Charlotte Barton, and Lynn Lambert and Jo Woodham.
- The Staunton Trophy played between Andrew Passfield and Andrew Monk.
- The Men’s Mid-Week Singles played between Jason Grech and Chris Maddison.
- The Men’s Seven Day Singles played between Stuart Normington and Phil Szekeres.
- The Buckland Putter played between Cavan Mallon and Jason Saunders.
- The Summer Mixed Pairs played between Kate and Alex Thorne, and Karen and Jeff Rankin.
As each match finished they were variously described as “tough”, “great”, or “so close”, and everyone said how much they enjoyed the experience.
In the end, there could only be winners and runners up, with the results going as follows:
- The Walker Bowl went to Rosemary and Charlotte Barton, winning 2&1 over Lynn Lambert and Jo Woodham.
- The Staunton Trophy went to Andrew Passfield, winning 3&1 over Andrew Monk.
- The Men’s Mid-Week Singles went to Chris Maddison, winning after the 1st extra hole over Jason Grech.
- The Men’s Seven Day Singles went to Phil Szekeres, winning 2&1 over Stuart Normington.
- The Buckland Putter went to Jason Saunders, winning after the 3rd extra hole over Cavan Mallon.
- The Summer Mixed pairs went to Kate and Alex Thorne, winning 5&3 over Karen and Jeff Rankin.
For the 52 players who had played in summer knockouts but unsuccessful this time in their efforts to reach the finals, a competition was played out between 13 teams, with nearest the pins on 6 for the men and 14 for ladies. Paul Hutchins and Sarah Ward won nearest the pin on 6 and 14 respectively. After count back with 108 points, the team of Darren Hatherley, Andy Brunger, Fabien Napier, and Terry Charge held back the second placed team of Andrew Fraser, Julian Allen, John Belchier and Andrew Smyth to win.
Other trophies presented on the day were:
- The Ladies Winter Eclectic which went to Karen Rankin.
- The Birdie Trophy which went to Chris Pritchard for an incredible 7th time!
- The Don Fettes Winter Mixed pairs which went to Alex Jakins and Graham Robertson.
- The Men’s Restricted Club which went to Andrew Passfield.
- The Jacqui Cundell Plate which went to Susan Holland.
As Lee Wood said during the trophy presentation, it’s a great accomplishment to win through up to 6 knock out rounds to get to the finals. Congratulations must go to all those that competed for the finals this year and to everyone who entered.
The winners, runner’s up and semi-finalists in the summer knock-out competitions have each won a pro shop prize voucher. If you have not collected your voucher, please ask in the pro shop the next time you are at Windlesham.
Another year and another set of highly contested trophies competed for by Windlesham’s ever competitive golf members.