In my last communique, I mentioned the upcoming season opener known as the Calcutta Cup, and the sign up for the summer knockout competitions. Demand for these has been incredibly high and indicates the appetite members have for competitive golf options at Windlesham. Sign up for the summer knockouts closes on February 28th. The draws will be issued early in March.
In this communique, I would like to focus on the range of Inter-Club match options available to you. The person responsible on Main Committee for all Inter-Club matches is Andrew Fraser. In the last 3 years Andrew has either been involved with or responsible for organising an open evening to explain more about these matches, eligibility, format and who captains the respective teams. We won’t be holding an open evening this year. However, listed below is a comprehensive summary of what’s on offer and who to contact should you be interested to register your interest to play in these matches and the sign-up options on Handicap Master.
So, what’s on offer for you as a Member of WGC during the 2019 playing season that involves playing against other clubs around the county.
Men’s Friendly Matches: Team Captain – Andrew Fraser
- 6 Pairs, match play 4BBB, no age or Handicap restrictions. Usually played on Saturday.
Ladies Friendly Matches: Team Captains – Susan Holland & Karen Rankin
- 6 Pairs, match play 4BBB, no age or Handicap restrictions. Weekday & Weekend Matches.
Mixed Friendly Matches: Team Captains – Chris Bell, Pauline Gibbs, Fiona Salmon, John & Sue Moynihan
- 6 Pairs, match play 4BBB, no age or Handicap restrictions. Usually played on Sunday. Match fee includes brunch or lunch.
Highwaymen’s Friendly Matches: Team Captain – Graham Woodfine
- 14 Inter Club Matches, home & away, 6 Pairs 4BBB, Age 55+, no Handicap restrictions. Usually played on Thursday. Match fee includes lunch.
90’s League Tigers Matches: Team Captain – Malcolm Wells
- Fortnightly on Thursday afternoon’s, max Handicap 14, age 16+, 4BBB Matches. Match fee includes one course meal.
90’s League Rabbits Matches: Team Captain – TBC
- Fortnightly on Thursday afternoon’s, Handicap 15-28, Age 16+, 4BBB Matches. Match fee includes one course meal.
Surrey 5’s Competition: Team Captains: A Team – Jason Grech. B Team – Mike Lancaster
- Handicap 5 -18, age 18+, 5 x Singles Match Play. Matches usually played at Weekend.
Surrey Senior’s Ling Trophy: Team Captain – Malcolm Lucas
- Handicap max 24, age 55+, 4BBB pairs matches. Matches held weekdays Monday – Friday.
Surrey Scratch: Team Captain – Dan Ryan
H/Cap Max 5, play off scratch, no age restrictions, format is singles match play (5 matches). Matches held on Weekends.
Men’s Annodata Match Play: Team Captain – Andrew Fraser
Maximum Handicap 18, no age restrictions, format is singles match play (5 matches). Matches usually played on Weekends.
Ladies Annodata Match Play: Team Captain – Sarah Ward
- Maximum Handicap 24, no age restrictions, format is singles match play (5 matches). Matches usually played on Weekends.
Centenary Bowl: Team Captain – Evelyn Somerville
- Match Play, teams of 5 playing off scratch, lowest Handicap 10.
Windlesham Cup: Team Captain – Evelyn Somerville
- 6 Clubs involved, team stroke play competition. Maximum Handicap 14
Druce Trophy: Team Captain – Jennie Corfield
- 36 Hole Eclectic Stroke Play, Foursomes Competition, 4 Players per club
Sunningdale Heath Ladies Foursome Invitation:
- Two Pairs, combined Handicap of 36 per pair, selection via Ballot Entry Fee. Cost is £45.00 TBC
As I mentioned earlier, you can register your interest to play in these competitions directly with the team captains listed. Alternatively, you will find these matches on HANDICAP MASTER (HCM), either as a sign-up sheet to register your interest or as a sign-up sheet for the actual matches a month in advance of the match date.
When browsing HCM for all the above matches, you will find match dates where applicable, match formats, eligibility criteria, match fees if applicable and more. If you have any questions on these matches, please contact the match captains directly, or our Inter-Club Match Secretary on Main Committee – Andrew Fraser via his personal email (see member contacts on Member Central), or via email@example.com.